Tuesday, October 22, 2013

An Introduction in Several Parts: Part I

Why a blog? Why should I add my lone voice to the cacophony of noise of the millions of blogs on the internet?


Given that atheists are among the most distrusted and despised minorities in the U.S, I think that more of us should raise our voices and work to dispel the myth that all atheists are unpatriotic, untrustworthy gremlins out to destroy the country. Most of the non-believers I've known are fine people, and are considerably more trustworthy than many of the current occupants of the halls of Congress. In addition, while penning a blog may seem like a small thing, starting it has already alleviated my feelings of inaction and resignation to the path that the Christian extremists are trying to impose upon our country.


Another reason is that it's easy to be an atheist when that viewpoint goes unchallenged. I've been living comfortably in a vacuum, free of criticism for years. Very few people know I'm an atheist, and those are close friends and family who accept me and my views. I'm hoping that by interacting with people, both believers and other atheists, that I'll come to understand my own mind a little better and subject my beliefs and opinions to a little critical analysis.



I owe a thank-you to vjack of Atheist Revolution; it was vjack's blog that got me fired up to get out there and write, and this post that helped me get started.   

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the atheist blogosphere. Vjack is great about encouraging writers to get involved, he must not be worried about competition. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed; his contention is that there needs to be more atheist bloggers. Thanks for your comment and your welcome :)

      Delete